To help in organizing the session, the writer had questions to help prepare themselves for it. These questions are taken from the book Using the Creative Arts in Therapy. The questions are for people who are being employed to run a creative arts therapy session. As the researcher is not being employed by anyone nor are they professionally trained, the questions have been modified and adapted to the situation.
GOALS
for the participants to see movement as a way of gaining personal insight and digging deeper within themselves in the sessions.
Two undergraduate dance students.mThe ages of the students are the same. in the 20-25 age bracket.
What are my responsibilities as leader?
I am not being employed by anyone. I see myself as a leader/facilitator, not a therapist. I need to be professionally trained to be seen as a therapist.
PRE-SESSION PLANNING
When is the session scheduled? How often do I see the group and for how long each session?
The session is scheduled for April , 2014. I see the group for two sessions and each session will be an hour long.
Do the group members know where and when we meet? Yes
What space do I need to work in? Does the space I have been allocated meet these needs?
I need a dance studio to work in and the space I have been allocated does meet this need.
Will I have any assistants? Will they be volunteers or professionals?
No, I will have no assistants
PLANNING THE SESSION
How can I best achieve my goals?
I can best achieve my goals by explaining the reasons behind the exercises, what it can do and to also encourage the participants to let go and be free.
What activities will best match my strengths with the perceived needs of the group and their abilities?
Activities that allow the group to have fun and be free. Everyone that will be participating is able to move about quite freely and they all have a solid background in dance. Most of the activities planned, they will be able to do movement wise.
How much structure do I need to provide for the group so they can actively engage in these activities?
A good amount of structure is needed as the group is used to structure when it comes to dance. The structure will aid in them actively engaging in the activities.
What equipment will I need?
I will need a camera to record the session.
SESSION
Immediately prior to the session
Is all the equipment I need here? Yes.
Are all the group members here? Yes
What is the general mood of the group? Is it in keeping with my plans for the session?
The general mood is of calm complacency. It is in keeping with my plans for the session.
RUNNING THE SESSION
Did I introduce myself? Yes
Does the group know why I am here and what we will be doing together? The group knows that is a session for the portfolio and the basis is dance movement therapy. They do not know what exactly we will be doing together until I mention it to them.
How do they react to this? They seem to be a bit taken aback but not in shock.
Do I know the individuals in this group? Yes.
Am I warming up the group for the activities to come? Yes. Two of the activities planned are apart of the warm up.
How are group members responding? Who is outgoing? Who is shy?
The group members are responding well. No one is shy as we all know each other.
Am I introducing the activities in a way that people can understand? Am I working at their pace?
Yes as I verbally explain the activity and provide an example of it. I am working at their pace.
Am I providing the right amount of structure to allow the group to be creative?
Yes I am. The activities in the session do aid in the creative process.
Am I meeting the individual needs of the group? Am I aware of changes occurring in these needs throughout the session?
At times. Sometimes I seem to fail at this as I tend to participate as well. I become aware of changes and respond accordingly.
Am I simply filling the session up with ‘busy time’?
No. I am following the outline I set out for the session.
Am I enjoying myself?
Yes! Very much so .
How can I end this session on a positive but relaxing note?
By having the participants lie on the ground with their eyes closed, tell them to breathe deeply, relax and reflect on the activities that were done.
Immediately after the session
Does everyone know when the next session will be? Yes
Does everyone have all the possessions they arrived with? Yes
Do I have everything I came with? Yes
Have I checked all the lights are off? Is the room in reasonably the same state I found it? Yes.